SEN info (School offer)

Rookery School Special Educational Needs Information

(Local Offer)

The school has many strengths the most notable being the care and support provided for every learner. This thoroughly inclusive school has an excellent understanding of the personal needs of every pupil, especially pupils with SEN or whose circumstances make them vulnerable.’


‘Disabled pupils and those with special educational needs are well taught’


At Rookery School we are committed to ensuring that all children become independent learners and reach their full potential. We aim to identify children’s individual and specific areas of need early and make provision to meet their needs.

Provision for pupils with special educational needs is outstanding. We have an Autistic Spectrum disorder (ASD) resource base which is extremely successful in reintegrating children into mainstream. Please note that to secure a place for your child at Rookery ASD Base your child must have a Statement of SEN or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) stating that autism is the primary area of need. If your child does have the required Statement or EHC to obtain a place at the ASD base you must first contact SENAR (Special Educational Needs Assessment and Review).

Children with SEN make excellent progress. We are aware that these children need to accelerate their progress even further.

All SEN End of Key Stage 2 2017

Average Scaled Score



Here are some FAQs which may help you:

1. What kinds of support do we offer for children with Special Educational Needs?

  • Quality First Teaching
  • Small group targeted intervention
  • Individual targeted interventions

The types of SEN that we support at Rookery are:

  • Cognition and Learning

–     How your child thinks, learns and understands their world.

  • Communication and Interaction
    How your child talks to, listens, responds, plays and learns with other children and adults.
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health difficulties
    How your child shows their feelings, negotiates and solves problems in different situations and handles changes of routine.
  • Sensory and/or Physical needs
    How your child responds to their environment and learning using their senses and any diagnosed medical issues.

For further information:

We support children through Quality First Teaching

This means that:

  • The teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and understands.
  • Different ways of teaching are used so that your child is fully motivated to be involved in their learning.
  • Your child’s progress is constantly checked to ensure that the teaching and any additional resources meets their needs.

We support children through targeted group work.

This is where your child works with a smaller group of children, who are at a similar place in their learning, often called an intervention or booster group.

For your child this would mean:

  • Working in small group sessions on specific targets or objectives to support their progress.
  • These sessions can be led by a teacher or teaching assistant, under the direction of the class teacher, coordinators or SENco.
  • Progress is constantly monitored to ensure that this small group work meets the group’s needs.

We support children through targeted individual work

For your child this would mean:

  • Working 1 to 1 on specific targets to support their progress.
  • These sessions can take place within lesson times, lunchtimes or for some specific interventions on a Saturday.
  • These sessions can be led by a teacher, teaching assistant under the direction of the class teacher or specialist staff such as the Learning Mentor or Speech and Language Therapist, with advice from coordinators, SENco and any outside agencies involved.
  • Progress is constantly monitored to ensure that 1 to 1 interventions are meeting the child’s needs.

2. How are Special Educational Needs identified?

How do parents/carers raise concerns?

Talk to us:

  • Firstly contact your child’s class teacher
  • SENco/ Inclusion Manager
  • Pastoral Manager

We pride ourselves on listening to and building positive relationships with our parents/carers.

 How does the school identify a child’s Special Educational Need?

  • Regular discussions with parents/carers about any concerns with your child’s learning or progress.
  • Class Teachers will raise concerns with parents/carers and the SENco following day to day teaching and observations or TA assessments three times a year.
  • Class Teachers, SENco and Senior Managers will identify children who are not making expected progress from the schools tracking system. This is carried out at least three times a year.
  • Sometimes advice is requested from appropriate outside agencies to identify specific needs using specialist assessment.

3. How will school monitor the progress of children with SEN?


  • Set and review individual targets regularly.
  • Check that additional support the child receives is planned and monitored carefully by the class teacher, coordinators and SENco.
  • Have regular meetings between class teachers, SENco, teaching assistants and senior managers to discuss children’s progress and provision.

Who will explain this to me?

  • Class teachers will meet with parents/carers at least on a termly basis, this could be part of Parent’s evening or as a review of targets to discuss and review your child’s needs, support and progress.
  • The SENco is available for further information and discussion.
  • Children with a Statement or EHC plans will have annual reviews.

4. What extra-curricular activities can a pupil with Special Educational Needs access at school?

Rookery is an inclusive school and all activities are available to pupils with SEN. If appropriate reasonable adjustments will be made to meet the needs of the individual child so they can participate.

Class teachers will be able to tell you what before and after school clubs/activities are available.

5. Who are the best people to talk to about SEN? 

We always encourage you to speak to your child’s class teacher about any concerns you may have about your child. However, if you have a specific concern about your child’s learning, special educational or additional need then the SENco can be available to speak to you.

The SENco is a teacher who is responsible for supporting members of staff, parents/carers/carers and pupils in meeting the additional needs of all children. They have specialised training in co-ordinating SEN across the school.

The name of our SENco is:

Ms Emma Freeman

They can be contacted by arranging an appointment through the Pastoral Manager or the PA to the leadership team.

The name of our Pastoral Manager is:

Mrs Satvir Rai

The name of our PA to the Leadership Team is:

Mrs Sue Heath-Gardiner

6. What training does the staff in school have to support children with Special Educational Needs?

To ensure our staff have the skills and knowledge to support children with SEN there is a programme of on-going training, both in school and off-site.

Recent training has included:

  • RWI
  • Numicon
  • Lead teacher in Autism
  • Precision teaching
  • All staff have been trained at level 1 for Autism.
  • Some staff have been trained to level 2 and 3 for Autism.
  • ‘Friends for Life’ intervention for children exhibiting signs of anxiety.

7. How does the school get more specialist help?

At Rookery, if we feel a child needs more specialist help we can work with a range of outside agencies.

Agency or ServiceWho they work with
Educational Psychology Service
Children with more significant and complex learning needs.

Provide school staff with advice on teaching strategies, resources, individual and whole school training
Pupil and School Support (PSS)
Provide school staff with advice on teaching strategies and resources, individual and whole school training to support pupils with difficulties in language, literacy and Maths.

Individual assessments of pupils who are not making progress in language, literacy and maths and advice on next steps.
Speech and Language Therapy Service (SaLT)Children who are referred by the GP or school who have specific speech or language needs. Provide school with advice on work that can be carried out in school as well as providing specific programmes in clinic.
Communication and Autism TeamChildren with social and communication difficulties or a diagnosis of Autism.

Provide individual and whole school training for staff with advice on teaching strategies, resources for pupils with Autism.
Sensory Support Service
Children with visual or hearing impairments. Provide school with advice regarding resources and strategies to support children with sensory impairments
Wilson Stuart Outreach
Children with gross motor skill difficulties.

Provide school with advice regarding resources and strategies to support children with physical difficulties.
Behaviour support servicesChildren with challenging behaviours.

Provide school staff with advice on teaching strategies, resources, individual and whole school training
Health professionalsProvide advice and support for staff working with individual children with health needs. School Nurse, Occupational therapist, Physiotherapist, Child Development Centre.
CAMHSChildren with specific mental health issues e.g. anxiety/ depression.

8. How are the parents of children involved in the education of pupils with Special Educational Needs? 

  • Open door policy to listen to parents/carers about their concerns.
  • Regular review meetings
  • Parents evenings
  • Annual reviews for children with statements
  • Inspire workshops, class assemblies, some specific class workshops

9. How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?

All pupils are involved and encouraged to take part in their own learning journey, for example:

  • Developing and achieving targets through the Assertive Mentoring Programme.
  • Encouraging pupil voice and responsibility through Assertive Mentoring.
  • Taking responsibility for achieving their ‘Ready for Learning’ targets through Assertive Mentoring and DOJO points.
  • Attending parents’ evenings with parents
  • Self-assessment and evaluation
  • All children are encouraged to speak to members of staff if they have a concern or worried about anything. Children are encouraged to name a special adult in school who they would like to support them with any difficulties.
  • Learning mentors

Children identified with SEN additional needs are also involved in:

  • Annual Review Meetings
  • One Page Profiles (For children with Autism)
  • Child Friendly IEPs

10. How is the governing body involved in supporting families of children with Special Educational Needs?

At Rookery we have a designated governor with responsibility for SEN who liaises with the SENco/ Manager to ensure that the Governors are informed about provision, progress and well-being of our children with SEN. To ensure confidentiality any feedback or reports do not name individual children.

If you have concerns about how school deals with your child regarding any SEN issues you can discuss these with the Head Teacher or the Governing body.

The name of our SEN Governor is:

Mr Hardeep Dhinju

If you want to discuss any issues with our SEN Governor, he can be contacted by arranging an appointment through the PA to the Leadership Team, Mrs Sue Heath- Gardiner who is based in the Leadership Office.

11. What support services are available to help Parents/carers with children with Special Educational Needs?

Our school SENCO will be able to advise you on the support services available to you, both locally and nationally

It is recommended that you contact your GP to discuss any concerns you may have about your child’s needs and to seek medical support, guidance and assessments if appropriate.

Parent Partnership Services are a support service we also recommend to you. They can offer independent and unbiased advice and information about the assessment procedures and educational provision for your child.

Their Contact details are:

SEND Information, Advice & Support Service The POD, 28 Oliver Street
Nechells, Birmingham B7 4NX Telephone Number: 0121 303 5004

12. How will we support your child through transitions?

Before your child starts at our school:

  • Visit to existing school or home visit where relevant.
  • Your children will be encouraged to attend ‘Stay and Play’ sessions before starting Nursery.
  • Transition days may be appropriate in some cases– staggered at times of the day to meet the needs of the child eg after school, during class time.

When they are moving to a new school:

  • Additional visits to the new school for children with specific needs
  • Contacting key personnel at receiving school.
  • Reviews centred on the needs of your child involving yourself, staff and relevant agencies when appropriate (Person Centred Review).
  • All relevant documentation about your child shared with new setting.

When children are moving into the next class:

  • Your child’s new teacher will take part in a hand over meeting with the previous teacher to discuss your child’s levels and which strategies work best for them.

13. How can parents/carers find Birmingham’s Local Offer for SEN?

You can find the Birmingham Local Authority’s local offer through the website below: