SEN info (School offer)

Rookery School Special Educational Needs Information

(Local Offer)


The school has many strengths the most notable being the care and support provided for every learner. This thoroughly inclusive school has an excellent understanding of the personal needs of every pupil, especially pupils with SEN or whose circumstances make them vulnerable.’




‘Disabled pupils and those with special educational needs are well taught’




At Rookery School we are committed to ensuring that all children become independent learners and reach their full potential. We aim to identify children’s individual and specific areas of need early and make provision to meet their needs.


Provision for pupils with special educational needs is outstanding. We have an Autistic Spectrum disorder (ASD) resource base which is extremely successful in reintegrating children into mainstream. Please note that to secure a place for your child at Rookery ASD Base your child must have a Statement of SEN or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) stating that autism is the primary area of need. If your child does have the required Statement or EHC to obtain a place at the ASD base you must first contact SENAR (Special Educational Needs Assessment and Review).


Children with SEN make excellent progress. We are aware that these children need to accelerate their progress even further.


SEN progress (K) KS2 2016



Other pupils











Here are some FAQs which may help you:


1. What kinds of support do we offer for children with Special Educational Needs?




The types of SEN that we support at Rookery are:


-     How your child thinks, learns and understands their world.


-     How your child talks to, listens, responds, plays and learns with other children and adults.


-     How your child shows their feelings, negotiates and solves problems in different situations and handles changes of routine.


-     How your child responds to their environment and learning using their senses and any diagnosed medical issues.


For further information:

Special educational needs and disability code of practice


We support children through Quality First Teaching


This means that:


We support children through targeted group work.


This is where your child works with a smaller group of children, who are at a similar place in their learning, often called an intervention or booster group.




For your child this would mean:


We support children through targeted individual work


For your child this would mean:


2. How are Special Educational Needs identified?


How do parents/carers raise concerns?


Talk to us:


We pride ourselves on listening to and building positive relationships with our parents/carers.


 How does the school identify a child’s Special Educational Need?



3. How will school monitor the progress of children with SEN?





Who will explain this to me?


4. What extra-curricular activities can a pupil with Special Educational Needs access at school?

Rookery is an inclusive school and all activities are available to pupils with SEN. If appropriate reasonable adjustments will be made to meet the needs of the individual child so they can participate.


Class teachers will be able to tell you what before and after school clubs/activities are available.


5. Who are the best people to talk to about SEN?


We always encourage you to speak to your child’s class teacher about any concerns you may have about your child. However, if you have a specific concern about your child’s learning, special educational or additional need then the SENco can be available to speak to you.


The SENco is a teacher who is responsible for supporting members of staff, parents/carers/carers and pupils in meeting the additional needs of all children. They have specialised training in co-ordinating SEN across the school.


The name of our SENco is:


Ms Emma Freeman


They can be contacted by arranging an appointment through the Pastoral Manager or the PA to the leadership team.


The name of our Pastoral Manager is:


Mrs Satvir Rai


The name of our PA to the Leadership Team is:


Mrs Sue Heath-Gardiner



6. What training does the staff in school have to support children with Special Educational Needs?


To ensure our staff have the skills and knowledge to support children with SEN there is a programme of on-going training, both in school and off-site.

Recent training has included:



7. How does the school get more specialist help?


At Rookery, if we feel a child needs more specialist help we can work with a range of outside agencies.


Agency or Service

Who they work with

Educational Psychology Service

Children with more significant and complex learning needs.

Provide school staff with advice on teaching strategies, resources, individual and whole school training

Pupil and School Support (PSS)

Provide school staff with advice on teaching strategies and resources, individual and whole school training to support pupils with difficulties in language, literacy and Maths.

Individual assessments of pupils who are not making progress in language, literacy and maths and advice on next steps.

Speech and Language Therapy Service (SaLT)

Children who are referred by the GP or school who have specific speech or language needs. Provide school with advice on work that can be carried out in school as well as providing specific programmes in clinic.

Communication and Autism Team

Children with social and communication difficulties or a diagnosis of Autism.

Provide individual and whole school training for staff with advice on teaching strategies, resources for pupils with Autism.

Sensory Support Service

Children with visual or hearing impairments. Provide school with advice regarding resources and strategies to support children with sensory impairments

Wilson Stuart Outreach

Children with gross motor skill difficulties.

Provide school with advice regarding resources and strategies to support children with physical difficulties.


Behaviour support services

Children with challenging behaviours.

Provide school staff with advice on teaching strategies, resources, individual and whole school training

Health professionals

Provide advice and support for staff working with individual children with health needs.

School Nurse

Occupational therapist


Child Development Centre


Children with specific mental health issues e.g. anxiety/ depression.


8. How are the parents of children involved in the education of pupils with Special Educational Needs?



9. How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?


All pupils are involved and encouraged to take part in their own learning journey, for example:


Children identified with SEN additional needs are also involved in:


10. How is the governing body involved in supporting families of children with Special Educational Needs?


At Rookery we have a designated governor with responsibility for SEN who liaises with the SENco/ Manager to ensure that the Governors are informed about provision, progress and well-being of our children with SEN. To ensure confidentiality any feedback or reports do not name individual children.


If you have concerns about how school deals with your child regarding any SEN issues you can discuss these with the Head Teacher or the Governing body.


The name of our SEN Governor is:


Mr Hardeep Dhinju


If you want to discuss any issues with our SEN Governor, he can be contacted by arranging an appointment through the PA to the Leadership Team, Mrs Sue Heath- Gardiner who is based in the Leadership Office.


11. What support services are available to help Parents/carers with children with Special Educational Needs?


Our school SENCO will be able to advise you on the support services available to you, both locally and nationally.


It is recommended that you contact your GP to discuss any concerns you may have about your child’s needs and to seek medical support, guidance and assessments if appropriate.


Parent Partnership Services are a support service we also recommend to you. They can offer independent and unbiased advice and information about the assessment procedures and educational provision for your child. 


Their Contact details are:

SEND Information, Advice & Support Service The POD, 28 Oliver Street
Nechells, Birmingham B7 4NX Telephone Number: 0121 303 5004

12. How will we support your child through transitions?


Before your child starts at our school:


When they are moving to a new school:


When children are moving into the next class:



13. How can parents/carers find Birmingham’s Local Offer for SEN?


You can find the Birmingham Local Authority’s local offer through the website below: